[lsc-users] Trying to Build LDAP Sycnhronisation Connector - Error

Jonathan Clarke jonathan at phillipoux.net
Thu Feb 19 11:05:42 CET 2009

Hi Simon,

On 18.02.2009 16:20, simon.thurlow at uk.bnpparibas.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am having major issues getting to the point of being able to run the
> LDAP Synchronisation Wizard (generateWizard).
>
> Having downloaded the latest copies of both 'lsc-core' and
> 'lsc-sample' (though I understand I only need lsc-sample to get the
> wizard). I also have Java 1.5.0_14, Maven 2.0.9, Ant 1.7.1 and Ant
> Installer 0.8
>
> However, following your tutorials, I cannot even get past running the
> command 'MVN Install' as it immediately throws up the following error:

[...]
> Downloading:
> http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/maven/plugins/maven-resources-plugin/2.2/maven-resources-plugin-2.2.pom

[...]
> [INFO] Failed to resolve artifact.
>
> GroupId:  org.apache.maven.plugins
> ArtifactId: maven-resources-plugin
> Version: 2.2

>    org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-resources-plugin:pom:2.2
>
> from the specified remote repositories:
>   central (http://repo1/maven.org/maven2)
[...]
> I am aware that this type of problem is usually associated with Proxy
> problems, that can be resolved by setting the appropriate fields in
> the 'settings.xml' file - which I have done. Everything should be
> working. I can even view the plugin that Maven thinks it cannot locate
> when I look in the above referenced URL in my web browser. I have even
> downloaded that plugin to my local respository so that 'MVN Install'
> can find it locally instead of going off onto the internet to retrieve
> it. However, Mvabe still insists on looking for this plugin on the
> internet repository ( and claiming it cannot find it).

This does sound like a Maven problem. It looks like Maven isn't reading
your settings.xml, if it can't download files from the internet. Or
maybe not using the right maven home directory, if it doesn't find the
plugin you downloaded.

I suggest you download the maven-resources-plugin-2.2.jar file, and ask
maven to install it manually, like this:
mvn install:install-file -DgroupId=org.apache.maven.plugins
-DartifactId=maven-resources-plugin -Dversion=2.2 -Dpackaging=jar
-DgeneratePom=true  -Dfile=/path/to/local/maven-resources-plugin-2.2.jar

This should install it to the local repository maven is using, and
should display a message like "Installing
/path/to/local/maven-resources-plugin-2.2.jar to /home/jclarke/.m2/...".
Once you have that directory path, make sure that's where your
settings.xml file is.

I hope this helps. If you still encounter problems, please let us know,
and maybe send us a copy of your settings.xml file.

> Could you please advise on where I am going wrong as this is now
> driving me to distraction. This should be a very simple exercise to
> perform, but these issues seem unresolvable so far. Any guidance you
> may be able to provide will be most welcome as I can see a huge use
> for your LDAP Synchronisation tool in this organisation.

Thanks for your interest in the tool. It's nice to hear about it  :)

I hope we can get things working for you.

Regards,
Jonathan